Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Musicology NYC Best of 2012 (1-15) List by Nick Greto


15 Kindness World, You Need a Change of Mind :  A dance-punk LP that was quite a surprise earlier this year.

14 Liars WIXIW:  Liars.  Always solid but this is their best LP since Drum's Not Dead

13 Guts Paradise for All:  Dope beats!

12 Gojira L’Enfant Sauvage:  Metal. that you must see live to believe.

11 Gonzalez- Solo Piano II:  Number one fall-asleep LP of 2012.  Also, nice to pay attention to.

10 Flying LotusUntil the Quiet Comes:  FlyLo with a softer album than Cosmogramma but still damn good.

9 XXYYXX XXYYXX:  More beats.  Heard this kid was 17 when this was recorded.  Awesome.

8 Kendrick Lamar good kid, mAAd City:  Didn't love his mix tapes so this was a surprise.

7 Chromatics Kill for Love:  Smooth.  And opening with a Neil Young cover?

6 Wild NothingNocturne - This one really grew on me this year.  Only a few guitar albums on here.  For fans of the Cure and the Smiths.

5 Passion Pitt Gossamer Party LP of the year?  Maybe.  More like, damn, this is fun ...But sad.  My favorite kind of LP.

4 Frank Ocean Channel Orange:  First part of the Year of R&B trilogy (see below).  If you would have told me this wasn't my fav of the year when it dropped I'd'a told ya, you crazy.

3 Michael KiwanukaHome Again:  Crazy that Terry Callier passes the same year this dude hits it big.  Classic album.  Immediately.

2 Alt-J An Awesome Wave:  A very, very creative rock album.  So nice to hear rock songs sounding so unique.  Expecting great things from these dudes.

1 Miguel Kaleidoscope Dream -  Woah!  Where did this come from?  So damn good.  And who expected it?  I added this after reading about it on Pitchfork.  Pitchfork of all places!  And before I played it I went in with such hesitation.  It is so great to be surprised by something this good.  Every track on this is awesome.

Here is a playlist I put together that has a song from just about every album that I liked last year.  I should also mention that Wildcookie was a discovery this year and if you haven't hear them, you need to.

I love list season.

No comments: