Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Low Anthem - Oh My God, Charlie Darwin


It was a twitter post that originally drew me to the Low Anthem. All that it said was "been listening to the Low Anthem a lot lately". Or something along those lines. I was intrigued but knew nothing about them.

Sometimes that is the best way to go into an album. Sometimes I wish it happened more. No hype. No "sounds like so and so". So I left well enough alone and got my hands on the Oh My God, Charlie Darwin.

It opens with one of the softest, sweetest songs of the year "Charlie Darwin". This track sets a tone that I had no idea was coming. Soft and sentimental, yet somehow torturous. It tears slowly at your soul with soft guitars and genuine vocal emotion.

There are comparisons that can be made, of course. 70's folk rock, My Morning Jacket, Marah, Wilco even? All of them are just a bit off...yet dead on accurate.

I have tried to keep a distance from reading about this band. I wanted to create my own hype. Unfortunately, I am not allowing you to do that. But know that if you get this album, you will leave it happy. In a sad kinda way.

We think this is a "very good" album. Spend some time with it. You won't regret it.

No comments: