Sunday, June 3, 2007

Miami. Music. Michael. And My First Post


I just got back from vacation. Miami. With nearly no music scene I missed NY a lot. I have only lived here for 1 year, but it's hard to remember a time when I didn't live in the Apple. Music is everywhere, and I feel like this was where I was supposed to be my entire life.

I remember a time when music was just supposed to move you. That was all. You didn't have to be the first to find an artist or song. I mean, Led Zeppelin was around for 5 years before I was even born, but I never felt un-hip listening to them.

Nowadays you gotta be first. Clap Your Hands Say Yea were the biggest band in the world for about 20 minutes and I can't believe Arcade Fire hasn't faded away yet. As soon as your favorite band shows up in Rolling Stone or Spin it's time to find a new fave.

I used to look forward to Pearl Jam being on the cover of those mags in 1991. I used to want to read about them.

I still love music because it moves me. Yet I suppose I do know about artists before others, but that is because I want to be hip but because I am desperately searching for the next album that changes my life. Like, Disintegration, Doolittle, Ten, and The Bends. These albums helped make me the person I am.

This post is dedicated to the first album that changed my life.

Thriller.



The first album that I owned, and the first album that made me understand that music would be all I need to get through this crazy world. At 8 years old I knew that music was in my heart.

No comments: